Software: custom-made or off-the-shelf?
Due to the way of creating, software can be divided into two types:
- off-the-shelf software, sold in the same form for multiple customers,
- custom software, which is written for one client, pursuing only his needs.
The advantage of off-the-shelf software is the low price compared to custom software because the cost of work of programmers is divided into hundreds and sometimes thousands of customers who bought the license of the popular software. In case of custom software there is only one customer, and he covers the costs of work of programmers.
However, custom-made software have many advantages, which are unattainable for off-the-shelf software.
- As the name suggests they are custom-made and exactly meet the needs of the customer. In off-the-shelf software you have to adapt to existing functionality of the current version.
- Flexibility - this is the biggest advantage of custom software. While using the software, needs change, new ideas appear - thanks to the fact that the software was made for one customer, you can easily implement changes. In off-the-shelf software requests from customers are to be heard, which does not mean that they are implemented.
- It will be easy to use (on the contrary to the off-the-shelf software in which many unused functions only litter the user interface)